We support organizations to eliminate the causes, and reverse the effects, of climate change. Our grantees see the intersectionality of environmental work with issues of race, class, and equity. Their work deploys effective climate strategies that respect this inherent relationship.
Our primary focus is the mindful support of grassroots leaders and organizations addressing the drivers of climate change through effective race, class and equity conscious strategies.
More specifically our focus is:
1) To support work that provides substantive solutions that address the drivers of climate change with the goal of achieving drawdown: a year-over-year decline in the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
2) To support work that makes possible and facilitates the use of clean, carbon-free energy, and eliminates the subsidies and policies that promote dirty combustion energy and high greenhouse gas emissions.
3) To support work that empowers vulnerable people on the front lines of climate change, especially people of color and indigenous climate stewards.
2019 Grantmaking Cycle
Each year, Threshold Funding Circles will have a single, 6-month grantmaking cycle from February to August. Guidelines and the 2018 calendar are below. Please note that as of February 16, 2018, all RFP invitations have been sent out.
Grant Cycle Guidelines
- We provide program support as well as general operating support, and usually do not fund organizations with budgets larger than $2 million.
- We fund organizations that lobby and/or conduct other 501(c)4 activities.
- We support work by people of color and indigenous climate stewards and prefer to work directly with these communities wherever possible.
- We fund organization that work both within the U.S. and internationally.
- Historically, most of our grants have been for a one-year time period with a limited number of two-year grants. As we evolve our grantmaking process, we are seeking to advance more multi-year relationships while continuing to facilitate the immediate requirements of our grantees.