Our Mission & Strategy
Threshold’s High Impact Documentary Films (HIDF) funding circle funds documentaries addressing the most important issues facing the world today with a plan of action that is powerful, innovative, and unexpected.
We are in a golden age of documentary films. Progressive issues are being exposed in a powerful new light with various creative channels for marketing and distribution. Documentary filmmakers are filling the void left by a mainstream media that is unwilling to take on the controversial issues we face today.
The High Impact Documentary Films funding circle partners with BRITDOCS to make high-impact grants that utilize the resources of an organization at the forefront of the documentary world. By making more aggressive and larger grants than those that are usually available, we seek to become a leading force in the documentary field, gaining greater visibility for the Threshold Foundation and making more impact as change makers.
Our current funding priorities are:
- Stories that are not being covered in mainstream media;
- Development or crucial stage funding that will help move films forward at critical moments in their timeline;
- Films that tell powerful stories and have a strong point of view, aggressive marketing, and outreach plans for reaching intended audiences;
- Films with a focus that is in sync with the Threshold Foundation’s mission;
- First time and highly experienced filmmakers; and
- Compelling stories that leave the audience with an opportunity and desire for positive change.
2017 Grantmaking Cycle
Grant Cycle Guidelines
In 2017 Threshold Funding Circles will no longer solicit Letters of Inquiry (LOIs). All Funding Circles will issue invitation-only Requests for Proposals (RFPs) beginning in February. The process for determining invitations is decided by each Funding Circle – interested applicants should be aware that the resources of the foundation are limited and only invited organizations can be considered.
We do not fund 501c4’s. We do fund internationally, but only through a 501c3.
We ask the following questions as well as a full proposal, full budget, contact information, and 501c3 status, that is already submitted to our collaborating organization:
- What are your intended distribution plans at this time?
- What are your major impact goals/ideas at this time?
- Why this film now?
- Why are these funds critical to your project at this time?
2017 Threshold Grantmaking Calendar
2017 Threshold General Grantmaking Calendar
December 2, 2016
Funding Circles post 2017 grant guidelines online