Threshold’s High Impact Documentary Films (HIDF) funding circle funds documentaries addressing the most important issues facing the world today with a plan of action that is powerful, innovative, and unexpected.
Our Strategy and Focus
The High Impact Documentary Films funding circle partners with DocSociety to make high-impact grants that utilize the resources of an organization at the forefront of the documentary world. By making more aggressive and larger grants than those that are usually available, we seek to become a leading force in the documentary field, gaining greater visibility for the Threshold Foundation and making more impact as change makers.
We are in a golden age of documentary films. Progressive issues are being exposed in a powerful new light with various creative channels for marketing and distribution. Documentary filmmakers are filling the void left by a mainstream media that is unwilling to take on the controversial issues we face today.
2018 Grant Recipients
Grant Cycle Guidelines:
Our current funding priorities are:
- Stories that are not being covered in mainstream media;
- Development or crucial stage funding that will help move films forward at critical moments in their timeline;
- Films that tell powerful stories and have a strong point of view, aggressive and/or creative strategies for marketing, and outreach plans for targeting intended audiences;
- Films with a focus that is in sync with the Threshold Foundation’s mission;
- First time and highly experienced filmmakers; and
- Compelling stories that leave the audience with an opportunity and desire for positive change.
We have no eligibility requirements related to diversity or budget size. Unfortunately, we do not fund 501(c)4 organizations, and organizations applying from outside the United States must have a 501(c)3 status.